Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2015

2004 El Coto Rioja



This bottle spent at least 7 years in my small cellar waiting for occasion. Great Rioja, matured nicely. I thought it should be at peak of maturity, but running it through aerator found that it has more potential. A pity local shops in Twin Cities area don't offer El Coto anymore.
We had it with lamb tajine, which filled my nostrils with smells of spices, so I didn't feel any fine points of smell. Overall, it smells like a great Rioja: powerful, with leather and a little smoke. There is a distinct leather note in taste and that particular taste of mature wine you won't confuse with anything. It's mature enough wine, shows a little bit of discoloration, but surprisingly, no sediment at all!
Great pairing for tajine.  I usually prefer Rioja with lamb, but sure it's a great pairing for any red meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment